This page answers some of the most often asked questions about SMF and our ministry. If you have any other questions you can't find on this page or the rest of the site, contact us to let us know your question and we'll help you to get the information you need.
Find your question quickly:
What is SMF?
We're glad you asked. Scripture Memory Fellowship is the successor to Bible Memory Association (BMA). Led by Dr. N.A. Woychuk since its founding over 60 years ago, Scripture Memory Fellowship exists to help believers memorize God's Word. In addition to the 51 books of choice Bible verses and notes arranged under instructive subject headings, we also publish a variety of other resources for the edification and encouragement of believers worldwide.
For more information, please visit the links on the main menu, use the drop-down menu at the top of the page, or contact us!
We'd love to help you, your family, or your church experience the blessings of Scripture memory!
Memorizing the Word of God makes it instantly accessible in every situation and for every need.
- Memorizing Scripture is specifically commanded by God: "These words which I command thee this day shall be in thine heart: and thou shalt teach them diligently to thy children" (Deut. 6:6,7). "Lay up His words in thine heart" (Job 22:22b).
- Memorizing Scripture enlightens darkened hearts: "And that from a child thou hast known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus" (2 Tim. 3:15). The word burns and smites (Jer. 23:29), pierces and discovers (Heb. 4:12).
- Memorizing Scripture inculcates conviction on the standard of values and righteousness as being absolute and unchanging: "Therefore I esteem all Thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way" (Ps. 119:128). Read Isaiah 55:8, 9.
- Memorizing Scripture restores broken lives: "He sent His word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions" (Ps. 107:20).
- Memorizing Scripture helps spiritual growth: "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby" (1 Pet. 2:2). The "strong meat" of the Word for those who go on to Christian maturity (Heb. 5:12).
- Memorizing Scripture makes for an effectual prayer life: "If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you" (Jn. 15:7).
- Memorizing Scripture motivates spontaneous witnessing: "Then I said, I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name. But His word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay" (Jer. 20:9).
- Memorizing Scripture promotes fruitfulness: "But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it [keep it in memory], and bring forth fruit with patience" (Lu. 8: 15).
- Memorizing Scripture makes continual meditation possible: "But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night" (Ps. 1:2).
- Memorizing Scripture affords comfort and strength in time of trouble: "Unless Thy law had been my delights. I should then have perished in mine affliction" (Ps. 119:92).
- Memorizing Scripture guards against sin: "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee" (Ps. 119: 11).
- Memorizing Scripture provides wisdom and guidance for daily living: "Lo, they have rejected the word of the Lord; and what wisdom is in them?" (Jer. 8:9). Read James 3:17.
- Memorizing Scripture equips for spiritual warfare: The covering of truth, the breastplate or righteousness, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, the sword or the Spirit (Eph. 6: 11-17).
- Memorizing Scripture is exemplified by Christ: When tempted by the devil, He said, "It is written," and then He gave the Scripture (Matt. 4).
Do not talk yourself out of it. God has commanded it; we must do it! Use our plan, or use your own plan, but by all means, MEMORIZE!
Scripture Memory Fellowship has a time-tested plan for planting God's Word in your heart and mind. To see our complete line of pocket-sized memory books, click here.
How does SMF work?
Scripture Memory Fellowship has developed a plan that has worked effectively for over 60 years for all ages - one to one hundred!
Age and ability appropriate books are available for all memorizers. There are over 50 memory books from which to choose.
Each book is made up of carefully selected Bible verses organized under meaningful topics. Each section, or assignment, is designed to take one or two weeks, and is accompanied by helpful explanations of the verses memorized. Some books also feature a "review and apply" section.
We want you to memorize. Toward that end, we provide "incentive packages" that include several rewards in addition to the actual memory book. The rewards are age appropriate, and often correspond directly with the verses being memorized. As the learner progresses through the book, he or she earns said rewards. This system is used for children as well as adults.
Come to camp! We have a week-long summer camp available to all who memorize in our Scripture Memory Plan. You can enjoy fellowship with other Christians who have memorized God's Word, whether you are a family, a church, or just a student of the Word. The cost of camp is $175 for everyone. For children under 18, we offer a further incentive of a week of camp discounted 50% to only $87.50 for those children who have completed their memory books. In addition, all costs include meals and lodging! Our Spring Memorizer for the year will have all the information regarding the location and date of camp.
Does all that sound expensive? Scripture Memory Fellowship is an organization supported entirely by faith-based giving, and we have always desired to give as many people the opportunity to memorize Scripture as possible. While we do charge a small amount for our material to help cover printing and shipping, much of the cost is shouldered by people who have been touched by our ministry. This means that we can offer incentive packages for only $9.00 per enrollee, young and old alike! That price includes the memory book, the rewards, and a package of introductory material explaining how to use it all.
If needed, larger families may enroll for a maximum of $40.00. If financially crippled, the cost is only $3.00 for each incentive package (God knows your need). Each family of five or more will receive a free bonus: the Tic Tac Know Bible Game. (Please note that these offers are not currently available through our online store; please contact us directly to take full advantage of these offers.)
Scripture Memory Fellowship is a work of faith, and we carry on year after year as the Lord provides through His people in answer to prayer. (How can I help?)
Where do I start?
With so many options available, the choice can be a daunting one. We're here to help.
First of all, we recommend enrolling the whole family. What's good for your kids is good for you, and it helps them to see that Scripture memory is important to Mom and Dad, too. Additionally, it helps if everyone has his or her own book. A sense of ownership for the kids helps foster a responsibility about getting the verses memorized, and it's nice for Mom and Dad to always have the book handy, in a pocket or purse.
Please visit our Memory Books page to select the books that are right for your family. When you have your order ready, you can easily order at our online store. You can also visit our contact information page to order by phone through our 1-800 number; alternately, you may write us and mail in your order. In either case, we'll need to know what books you want and how you want to pay for them. We currently can take payments over phone by credit/debit card. Mail orders may be paid by check, money order, or credit/debit card. Online orders can be currently purchased with electronic checks (in some areas), credit/debit cards, and/or PayPal.
Note that you do NOT need to have a PayPal account in order to pay for your order online.
What shipping rates does SMF charge?
Scripture Memory Fellowship sends our packages through the US Postal Service at Media Mail rates. For smaller packages (up to 20 pounds), we charge a small packaging fee to help cover costs for packaging material; for packages over 20 pounds, you are charged only the actual cost of shipping. We advise this method of shipping for the majority of our memorizers.
We do NOT ship packages by UPS or FedEx. You have the option to opt to send packages by Priority Mail, but you must ask explicity for it if you order by mail or phone in order for us to ship and charge you correctly. Our online store only offers Priority Mail rates for up to 20 pounds. Again, you are charged the cost of shipping based on actual weight of the books and rewards, plus a small fee for packing materials. Note that Priority Mail shipping rates may be substantially higher than Media Mail rates depending on your distance from our office in St. Louis. Typically, Priority Mail is only necessary when you need your materials in less than a week or two from when you order.
These are our shipping rates for Media Mail up to 20 pounds:
Remember that after 20 lb., regular Media Mail rates apply! Also, if you are a booksellfer or are ordering books in bulk, the best solution is to call our office at 1 (888) 569-2560, or to mail us at P.O. Box 411551, St. Louis, MO, 63141 so that we can get you the best rates available.
How quickly will I get my order?
It usually takes us one to two business days to process and ship an order to the customer; if you rush your order, it may be in the same business day's mail. From there, it depends on the kind of shipping you want. Media Mail, again, is cheaper than Priority Mail, but it also will arrive slower (7-10 business days). Priority Mail, on the other hand, will typically arrive about 3-4 days after it is mailed.